• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch sparge and Beersmith

Cornhuskermac

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm making a recipe using Beersmith (1.4 and 2 -- I'm having the same issue with both).  Sorry that I can't seem to be able to copy and paste the details from BS here.  I'll attach the recipe to this post.  Anyway, my question is specific.  I chose a mash that's single infusion, medium body, batch sparge.  All is well and good except for one thing.  I don't understand why it's giving 2 sparge steps but not making the water amounts equal.  The box is checked to do so in both versions of BS and I still get the same instructions.  Here's what it says:

mash in 11.88 quarts for 60 minutes
batch sparge round 1 1.3 gallons at 168F
batch sparge round 2 2.86 gallons at 168F

So, I'm wondering if the batch sparge round 1 is a mash out?  Would I add the 1.3 gallons to what is already there before emptying the mash wort?  If so, do I add the 1.3 gallons at 168, or, as I would think, am I trying to get the total in the cooler to 168?

Anyway, I'm very confused right now.  Any help will be very appreciated!

Attachments

• Liberty Cream Ale.bsm
    10.6 KB · Views: 237
I never really got my equipment setup right and never got batch sparging to work for me either.  I just use my own batch sparge calculator and my intrinsic knowledge of how my system works.

Well, it's good to know that it's not essential, I guess.  Of course, it would be easy to just add the volumes of both rounds and divide by 2.  But then I wouldn't know about doing a mash out.  I'm new to AG, so this stuff still kind of mystifies me.

I am not saying it can't be configured but I gave up trying.  I don't ever look at tutorials as only looked at the FAQ recently to try to assist with some of the BS2 questions.  In my humble opinion, software should be intuitive for the user and with a bit of poking around most questions should be solved.  I have been doing this stuff for just shy of 35 years.  I am starting to get opinionated :)

Figuring our the right strike water temp and grain to water ratio is more important in batch sparging.  The strike water temp is tough here because the ambient temp swings by literally 120 degrees.  (That is why the roads are all cracked in the mid worst) Yes I've brewed below freezing and over 90.  I usually aim high by just a couple degrees.  The sparge water quantity calculator is really a rough estimate.  I know on my boil keggle if im an inch over the 2nd dimple ring i'm good and to stop boiling just under that for 10.5 gallons.

I too could stand to use the program more completely and efficiently.

Hi,
  When using a batch sparge the maximum efficiency is reached when you have two equal sparge runnings.  However for step 1, you already have a certain amount of water in the mash tun - so the 1.3 gallons you mention in your original post is what is needed to round that out so that the "runnings" out of the mash tun are the same for both batch 1 and batch 2. 

This is actually the ideal usage (equal runnings) so that is what I've set up as the default for the batch sparge profiles - for more info check the article I have on batch sparging on the BeerSmith blog:

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/09/how-to-batch-sparge-a-guide-for-batch-sparging-and-no-sparge/

Cheers,
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the kind response.  I just purchased BS2 and have had fun fiddling around with it to get comfortable with its functionality.  Your explanation makes sense of my same frustration, that of double batch sparging.  I've been batch sparging for some time now and my typical protocol is to drain all the mash water(only that which was added as strike water) completely and then add 2 equal batch sparges with draining between each one.  With this protocol I get a little over 70% efficiency.  From all my reading this is the typical "Double batch sparge" protocol, that of draining the sparge water first and then adding 2 equal sparge volumes.  I hope this makes sense.  I think that is why many of us batch spargers have gotten frustrated/confused by the way BS2 handles the double batch sparge. 

On a different note, why is it that sometimes the mash instructions will tell me to sparge in 2 different steps while another recipe will only have me sparge in 1 step?  If I have the "2 equal sparges" box checked shouldn't it always tell me to sparge in 2 steps?

thanks,

Brad

Hi,
  If there is room in your mash tun - BeerSmith will go for a single step mash.  In general this is a good thing as it will result in good efficiency and also reduce the risk of a stuck sparge which can happen if your mash tun is no longer floating between batches.

Brad

Back