• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling recipe from 5 gal -> 10 gal does not modify volumes in Fermentation tab

JonathanS

Apprentice
Reaction score
I took a simple recipe that I had previously made from extract. Then I converted it to all grain (5 gal). Equipment profile for all grain was previously created and correct one selected. Everything looked good so far for 5 gal all grain. Next, I selected scale recipe, choosing a different equipment profile (10 gal) and new batch size 10.5 gal. Ingredients scaling looks good. Mash profile looks good. However, data fields "Measured Boil Vol" and "Measured Batch Size" were still 6.0 gal and 5.25 gal respectively. These volumes need to be scaled with recipe in order to correctly calculate efficiencies. Furthermore, data field "Measured Bottling Vol" did not scale either.

- PC platform (Win7 Professional)
- Beersmith 2.0.37

Hi there Jonathon,

Looks like your question slipped through the net.

The 'Measured' fields are the fields where you input your actual figures when you are brewing so scaling won't change these. Scaling will however change fields such as 'Est Boil Vol' 'Post Boil Vol' etc.

So all should be good.
Pat

Pat,

I agree that these figures would typically be entered while brewing and understand the logic behind not scaling them when a recipe is scaled. In my case, I previously brewed the 5 gal extract version of this recipe, then a few months later brewed the 10 gal all-grain version. The figures were noticeably incorrect at first, prior to the time where I actually brewed the recipe. In order to avoid such confusions, perhaps these fields could be zeroed (blanked) out when a recipe is scaled / converted. That way, the user would have immediate feedback that they would have provide these figures during the brew session.

Yep, I understand exactly what you are saying but fear it is probably practically impossible but with Brad, who knows???

If a program could be perfect, there would actually be an option that said, when scaling a recipe convert either...

1. Actuals to equal zero

or

2. Actuals to equal estimates

Imagine trying to employ such a strategy though? Where would you provide the option? How would you explain it? How on earth would you program it? I'm actually totally amazed at how many options BeerSmith2 already provides and if the above is a possibility then Brad will find a way of doing it eventually though I imagine it would take several days of work at least.

He did ask me to check the BIAB stuff in the next patch* coming out and I noticed that with the sample recipes, all actuals have now been over-written to match the estimates. I think this has been done by hand not automatically as there are slight differences in some calculated fields. In other words if a gravity estimate field reads on the screen as 1.050 then the estimate was probably hand-typed in as 1.050 but the resulting efficiency might be 0.5% out as the first 1.050 was probably actually 1.0504 or something. Hope that makes sense? I think this has been done to make the sample recipes clearer. (Noticed lots of other fixes/changes as well by the way - heaps of good things there!)

I think when things settle down that the problem you pose is one that Brad would like to sink his teeth into as he seems to enjoy doing the impossible :D. I certainly wouldn't hesitate bringing it up again. It's a valid request and if it is at all possible to make happen, then I'm sure he will attempt it.

Cheers,
Pat

*Edit: Looks like he has just posted the new version while I have been writing. See this thread.

Back