• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single batch sparge how to

LunaticFringe

Apprentice
Reaction score
I add strike water to a cooler mash tun, drain the cooler, then add sparge water at an elevated temp (to emulate a mashout) which makes up the final volume in the brew kettle. Is there any way to do this consistently using BSmith 2? The options SEEM to be there but whenever I choose the "drain mash tun before sparging", I still end up with a 2 step batch sparge.

I was able to accomplish this by copying one of the predefined mash profiles to a new name and changed the sparge temp to 180, checked "Batch sparge using batches that fill 90%" checked "Use equal batch sizes" and checked "Drain Mash tun before sparging", I also have 1 mash step that is set to Infusion. Every recipe I have added that profile to shows only 1 sparge step.

What I would do is this. Select for example the "single infusion, light body mash" profile. I would then to increase the volumes of water in the "mash in" and "mash out" steps of the mash profile so there is no water needed for sparging. The software will calculate the water temp. for each addition if you check the "adjust mash for equip." box on the main recipe tab. Does this help? Just drain the mash tun between the mash in a mash out steps. I'm sure there's a way to change the names of the mash steps in the saved profile. Brad could help you with that. Does this help.

Back