• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling Sugar

RJKSKI

Brewer
Reaction score
Is there way to enter corn sugar in the recipe to be used for bottling so it is reflected in printed brew sheet, the estimated and actual ABV,  and removed from inventory? If not would it be possible to add it in a patch? The more I use version 2 the better I like it.

Hi,
  I've added the bottling sugar amounts back in the latest patch:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4797.0.html

I'm planning to roll it out to everyone next week.

You can also create your own brewsheet by copying the existing one which is in the Program Files/BeerSmith2/Reports directory.  Make a complete copy, edit it as you wish and then use the "Add Reports" tab under the options dialog to set up your own brewsheet if desired.

Brad

Thanks. I see it is now added to the brew sheet. Two other questions regarding bottling sugar. Is there anyway to make the bottling sugar part of the main ingredients list so it is subtracted from the inventory and also accounted for in the alcohol by volume. I make some highly carbonated beers and the sugar can sometimes add almost a half percent to the alcohol content. Would you consider adding "bottling/carbonation" to the "type" category for sugars or all grains if that would be easier? That way it would be reflected in the ingredients list, the inventory and percent alcohol.

Hi,
  I really had not considered it but it may be possible for a future addition.  I'm not sure precisely the best way to add it in - whether it should be a separate ingredient or it might be easier to track it as part of the carbonation profile.

Brad

My suggestion would be to add it in the following place. An example would be Open the ingredients list. Go to grains. Sort the list by type. Click on the ingredient "Corn Sugar (Dextrose)". Within the ingredient profile there is a drop down window for "type". Within that window the choices are "grain, extract, sugar, adjunct and and dry extract. This is where I would add the category "priming sugar". This could be an additional category for all sugars and DMEs. The program would carry that sugar to be added during bottling and adjust the estimated ABV for that amount of sugar in the recipe. It can be reflected in the brew sheet, the inventory and on the fermentation page. The effect on "est. ABV:" would only be done on the volume bottled because this is where it is added. I'm not a programmer so I don't have a clue how difficult this would be. thansk again for listening

Back