• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB Profiles - Temperature vs Infusion

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
  A new issue has popped up I thought I should address.

The Brew-in-a-bag mash profiles were all shipped with the first step set to "temperature" - indicating that you would need to slowly heat the mixture up to your step temperature over a period of 10 minutes.

Some BIAB brewers prefer to use an infusion for the first step - if this is the case for you I recommend copying your BIAB profiles over to new ones and setting the first step to "infusion" for each of them.  This will give you a correct calculated infusion for your BIAB profile.

I intend to offer the infusion BIAB profiles shortly as an add-on and also in future builds.

Cheers,
Brad

Excellent... I thought I was a little  :eek: when I tried to do my BIAB...  I'm like, what up w/dhat?   

I think you can also just go in and adjust the default from Temp to Infusion and correct the "issue" as well ?

Hi,
  Yes - if you prefer an infusion, just take the existing BIAB profile and set the first step to infusion and it will calculate the addition for you.  The software is actually correct, but unfortunately the BIAB profiles were shipped with this first step set as a temperature (heating) step instead of an infusion.

Sorry we missed this one - I'm going to have an update in a few days to correct the mash profiles as well.

Brad

One thing that I found was that I had added BIAB profiles for light, medium, and full bodies beers in the old version.

The upgrade overwrote my profiles. I guess great minds think alike because your profile names matched mine exactly so that is probably why they got over-written.

Not a huge deal to set these back or change them to what I want.

Question, though: will future updates potentially overwrite these again? Should I make a copy of the profiles with a different name and make the changes to those?

Hi,
I'm not planning to overwrite them again - I did this one time to make sure we caught existing users who might have missed this post.  I generally only make sweeping changes like this where there is a major error in the database.

However, it is always good to give your profiles and data a unique name as we might (for instance) add/update some ingredients or profiles in future versions if we find major errors in our existing database.

Brad

Back