• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is this freezer size appropriate? Newbie getting started

walrusbt

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to home brew for a while and have decided it's time to get started. I've ordered John Palmer's How to Brew and I look forward to getting more informed through the book, but one of the other initial things I need to do is get the equipment with the fridge/freezer being one of the things I won't be ordering or buying in store. I've found one on craiglist that may do the trick with (what I assume are external) dimensions around 46 X 27 X 35 inches, I assume the internal capacity is about 15 cubic feet based on this. Is this an appropriate size for home brewing?

If anyone has any input on getting a freezer versus a fridge/freezer combination I'd appreciate your input as well. I searched around this site and I know the freezer is likely necessary to make lagers. More importantly for me though, it just seemed like with a fridge/freezer combo that will be regulated by an external thermometer the freezer would basically be wasted. If I can't use it for more than storing mugs I don't see the point, but please let me know if I'm missing anything or any other helpful advice you wish you had known before you got started. Thanks in advance. 

I get by with a 7.8 cf chest freezer.  Size depends on how much you plan to ferment at once. 

I do like chest freezers over vertical ones just because when you open the door on a vertical freezer, all the cold air falls out.  With a chest freezer, it is somewhat held in. 

But that is a temporary advantage at best. 

MaltLicker said:
I get by with a 7.8 cf chest freezer.  Size depends on how much you plan to ferment at once. 

I do like chest freezers over vertical ones just because when you open the door on a vertical freezer, all the cold air falls out.  With a chest freezer, it is somewhat held in. 

But that is a temporary advantage at best. 

Thanks for the response. Just getting into this I'm planning on bottling initially. Do you store your beer that is ready in the freezer as well? I'm not going to have room inside my house for all the beer, so I was planning on keeping it in the same freezer. Assuming there are no issues with storing there I need to plan for room for this as well.

I has a 7. that held 4 kegs perfectly.  Unfortunately it was a Magic Chef and it died just after the warranty died.  Last night I picked up a 13cu ft model from Sears.  O might be able to get 7 kegs in this one. Sweet! Brrrrrr...

There was a great article a couple of months ago in brew your own magazine on how to build a freezer/kegerator. It looked awesome.

+1 on the chest freezer - perfect for kegs.  I have a 7 cu ft. 

I've seen a lot of videos where guys are unfastening the hinges and adding a wooden frame to put the taps through without having to drill holes through the side of the freezer.  I've found I like the picnic faucets best - I just leave them in the freezer and hang them from a hose.  My CO2 tank and all is in in the freezer so no holes needed and since the tap stays cold beer temp I only have to clean it in between kegs.

Back