• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe version

Derek Toering

Brewer
Reaction score
I think it would be helpful to have the recipe version automatically added as an extension to the recipe name when saving.  The recipe version ticker box within the recipe design window has no meaning without this.

You can customize the Recipes view to show the version column.  That's how I've set it up.

Showing the version within the recipe is well and good, but the recipe file name needs to link to this. Otherwise you can have recipe 1.1 with a version 2.1 in the filename.

I think this is going to one of those things no one will agree on.  I don't have a problem with the way it is now. It would be nice maybe if Brad adds the duplicate option back into the program and the new recipe instead of being called copy of recipe has the same name as the original but has the version advanced by 0.1.  No big deal though, I can always change the name and version to whatever I like. 

I agree to add some differentiating factor to recipes.  What I would be great is:  if you have a saved recipe and you change some ingredients, a pop-up asks if you would like to save the version as 1.x, etc. advancing the current recipe ticker.  I have written over recipes ingredients thinking the recipe ticker actually did something... it doesn't.  I would suggest either removing it or making some use of it.  PLEASE.

I agree that the version feature is almost useless, and it causes lots of clutter in my recipe list if I have to save and rename each version of the similar recipe. It would be good if all the versions of a recipe could be stored within that recipes name. So you could select your specific recipe to open it for viewing or brewing, then select from a drop down list of versions to see the progress and developement of the recipe.
Instead of creating a whole lot of recipes with the same name and minor differences.

I think its a good idea. I accidentally edited my old recipe the other day when I really meant to copy it to log and edit the new one. It is really hard to tell which recipe is open.

Back