• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brew Steps

gruversm

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Should "Brew Steps" preview also show ingredient information, as well as Beer and mash profiles?  When I view my 'Brew Steps' for a recipe there is a placeholder for "Ingredients" but it is empty (see attached screen shot).

Please forgive me is this is a known bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-22 at 9.26.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-22 at 9.26.17 PM.png
    612.7 KB · Views: 413
Yes, my recipes do.  Can you show us a picture of the recipe design tab?

Mark

Here ya' go.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-22 at 9.48.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-22 at 9.48.00 PM.png
    559.6 KB · Views: 410
Hi,
  I have only seen one other person reporting this problem - he was running the documents directory off of a shared Dropbox location and I think dropbox was creating problems with the temporary files written out for the recipes.

You might want to make sure your BeerSmith documents directory is on a permanent hard drive if you have changed it.

Also, you might try cleaning out the temporary files called bsxtmp_XXXX.htm where XXX is a number from the Documents/BeerSmith2/Reports directory.  I've noticed these are not all being deleted cleanly as they should be - and I've added code to clean them all up in the next release coming in a few days.

Brad

Brad:  I have BS2.0 running on my MAC along with Parallels running a copy of BS2.0 on the Windows side.  I notice that they share the same directory.

Should I create another documents directory for Windows side?

I certainly would not run them both at the same time - that could be causing your problem.

It probably would be best if they are running from two different document directories.

Brad

Brad:

OK...I'm still having trouble viewing any ingredients in the 'Brew Steps' view of my recipe.  I cleaned out those Temp files from my documents directory.  In addition, Build 40 does a better job of cleaning out those xxx files upon closing.  BS2.0 is installed on a hard drive and is not shared with the Windows version of BS2.0.

Any ideas?

I'm the other person that had this issue, and as Brad pointed out, it's almost certainly due to sharing a document directory between installations.  To resolve the issue I uninstalled BeerSmith 2.0, moved the documents directory out of the way (renamed it to <directory-name>.bak), and reinstalled BeerSmith 2.0.  Then I verified that the sample recipes showed their ingredients.  Assuming they did, I then imported from the renamed documents directory.  This is VERY important because somewhere in that directory is the configuration file(s) that became corrupted!  I believe this is why uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work for you.  If you have equipment, water profiles, etc., you'll need to import those as well.  Easiest way I've found to do that is to open the file and then copy/paste from the opened file into BeerSmith's own corresponding location.  Let me know if this doesn't resolve the issue for you and I can help you troubleshoot it a bit more.

Brad, given that BeerSmith features a user-assignable documents directory, and given that the main reason folks would want to do that is to allow some form of sharing, you probably either need to issue a warning when changing that setting that using a shared directory can cause issues or you need to come up with some kind of exclusive lock file mechanism that prevents multiple running instances from writing to the shared directory.  It seems to me that multiple readers are fine, but you should allow only a single writer at any given time.  Of course, then you get into stale lock management if BeerSmith dies while holding the write lock, etc., but I imagine this won't be the last time you see this hard-to-grok problem.

Back