• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hang when sorting recipes

mm658

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been brought up....tried a search and didn't find anything applicable, but could have missed it.

In the Recipes display for my recipes, I have the following columns selected.  Also noted is the behavior when sorting ascending/descending.  As you can see, for certain columns, simply clicking on the column heading causes the program to hang ("BeerSmith2.exe has stopped working" in Windows 7, forcing me to close and restart).  This happens repeatedly; it's not an intermittent or infrequent thing.  Still happens using build 40.

Name  -- works OK
Style    -- works OK
Batch Size    -- works OK
Date      -- works OK
Color      -- works OK
IBUs(Rager)    <-- ***CRASHES***
IBUs(Tinseth)    <-- ***CRASHES***
Bitterness Ratio  <-- ***CRASHES***
Est ABV      -- works OK
Measured ABV      -- works OK 
Tot Cost      -- works OK

I tested on Windows 7 with and did not experience any anomalies. 

I have build 40 installed.

Wow,
  I have not been able to get it to happen here either.  I just duplicated your columns and sorted them for about 5 minutes clicking every column but have not yet been able to get a crash.

If you get any information from the crash let me know - it might help to narrow it down.

Brad

Unfortunately, no additional information is given.  Clicking on one of the offending columns causes a pause of a couple of seconds (normally, clicking on a column results in an immediate sort) followed by the "BeerSmith2.exe has stopped working - Windows is searching for a solution" dialog box, followed by "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available" with only a "Close Program" button available.  No debugging info provided.

I even tried removing the three problem columns from the display and adding them back in to see if that would resolve the issue, but it didn't.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 1.

Perhaps it's worth noting that I have another sorting oddity, similar to one that someone else reported recently (http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,4996.0.html) which you were not able to recreate:  I have my Grains sorted by price descending, but every time I close the program -- including "graceful" closes, not the crashes noted above -- the next time I run the program, my Grains are sorted by price ASCENDING.

Bumping this thread just for the sake of noting that I've downloaded/installed Build 42, and while the ascending/descending sort issue appears to be fixed, the problem reported in this thread still exists.

I was hoping that perhaps it was somehow related and thus would be fixed "by association," but no such luck.

If there are any files I can send you to help try to make this issue re-creatable, let me know.

Thanks.

UPDATE - I was trying to debug this a bit on my own and think I figured out what's causing the problem.  Not sure about the "why", but here goes:

I noticed that the crash only happened on my own recipes, not the samples downloaded from the website.  I was then able to isolate it to two particular recipes.  What they had in common was:

An unhopped extract with a "late extract boil time."

I've got recipes with unhopped extract (0.0 IBU-gal/lb) where they're included for the duration of the boil time (thus a "0" in the "late extract boil time" field).  Those recipes do not cause a crash when trying to sort my recipes by IBU's or Bitterness Ratio.  But any recipe with a late extract addition DOES cause the crash when sorting that way.

A little extra piece of info: 
When I try to sort a FILE of recipes (e.g., not in my default recipe location, but after using the "open a file" function), I get a little extra bit of information beyond the program not responding.  The extra information is:

"Assertion failed! - [File .\BData.cpp:2365 compiled Aug 19 2011]"

That's followed on a subsequent dialog box with:

wxWidgets Debug Alert
.\Slib.cpp(822): assert "0" failed in SLib::SAssert()

Call stack:
[00] free

Hope this helps to identify the source of the problem!

Thanks,
  That really does help!  I will try to duplicate it here and if I can get it to fail with the debugger running it should be an easy fix!

Brad

Happy to report that this bug is FIXED in build 44.

Thanks, Brad, for your diligence in tracking this one down!  It may have been low-severity and low-frequency, but fixing it has made a great product even better for me.

Thanks,
  Yes - I did fix this one in Build 44 and believe it might solve some of the other mysterious crashes a few users had when sorting as well - thanks for finding this!

Brad

Back