Author Topic: Curing Copper  (Read 3931 times)

Offline littlebrew

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I don't get any better than this.
Curing Copper
« on: December 03, 2004, 08:47:50 AM »
With the exception of welding one more stainless fitting, I will be finished with the construction of a heat exchanger.

The question is that I have a copper coil and need to know the PROPER method for "curing" the copper that will come into contact with my wert.

Any ideas?  I've read plenty, but I seem to have developed a trust for BS forum member opinions.

Thanks.

Dave
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit........Aristotle

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
Re: Curing Copper
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 08:55:43 AM »
Are you talking about removing the flux and what-not, or something else? I think I know what you're saying, and if I'm correct, you don't have to worry about anything. Copper is a perfectly legitimate brewing metal. With brass, some say that you need to "pickle" the brass pieces in peroxide and vinegar to remove excess lead, but I don't believe that applies to copper. A brief soak in vinegar + water would remove any oils or other manufacturing residues. Am I in the ballpark?

Offline littlebrew

• I don't get any better than this.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 11:04:54 AM »
See!  I told you guys how much I trust your opinions!!  ;D ;D  Your are right on the mark.  It was the concerns of copper contact.  I suppose I have read too many articles this week.  (I "blew" a hole in the tank while welding...OOPS!)

This info seems to confirm the other materials I have read...thanks again colin!
We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit........Aristotle

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 01:55:59 PM »
Rock! Good luck finishing up your gear... can't wait to see some pics!

modification