• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Curing Copper

pcdiver

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
With the exception of welding one more stainless fitting, I will be finished with the construction of a heat exchanger.

The question is that I have a copper coil and need to know the PROPER method for "curing" the copper that will come into contact with my wert.

Any ideas?  I've read plenty, but I seem to have developed a trust for BS forum member opinions.

Thanks.

Dave

Are you talking about removing the flux and what-not, or something else? I think I know what you're saying, and if I'm correct, you don't have to worry about anything. Copper is a perfectly legitimate brewing metal. With brass, some say that you need to "pickle" the brass pieces in peroxide and vinegar to remove excess lead, but I don't believe that applies to copper. A brief soak in vinegar + water would remove any oils or other manufacturing residues. Am I in the ballpark?

See!  I told you guys how much I trust your opinions!!  ;D ;D  Your are right on the mark.  It was the concerns of copper contact.  I suppose I have read too many articles this week.  (I "blew" a hole in the tank while welding...OOPS!)

This info seems to confirm the other materials I have read...thanks again colin!

Back