Author Topic: Priming  (Read 4894 times)

Shakey_Dog

Priming
« on: December 05, 2004, 11:53:22 PM »
Has anyone tried to only use 1oz to prime/carbinate any of their brews? :o

I ask because some of the the ones that I have used 1.5 oz are a little over carbinated for my taste.  I like the low Egnlish style of carb.

I will be brewing this weekend and was thinking of trying only an 1 oz when I bottle it.

Or, I just thought of this,  has anyone tried just bottle with out any priming sugar? :o.  That is probably crazy, but I would think that it should work.  

Don

Offline bonjour

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Beer du Jour
Re: Priming
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 03:08:56 PM »
Feel free to do so.  You are amking adjustments based on your brewing and your taste.

Go fo it!

Fred

DesMoinesBrewer

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 10:14:35 AM »
I tried using very little priming sugar once, and it worked just fine.  I think I just used a little over 1.5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch.

I don't bottle much anymore though, except to enter contests.  I even got rid of my counter-pressure filler, and just bottle directly from the keg.  Seems to work just fine as long as the bottle gets used within a week or so.   Go figure...

-Brian

Shakey_Dog

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 11:44:36 PM »
I think I am only going to try 1oz.  I Have used 1.5 and it is ok.  But what fun is brewing if you don't try new things. ;D

Don

dave

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 09:35:17 AM »
 i'm a rookie brewer'but from what i 've read on the internet i thought 5oz per 5 gallons was normal.am i wrong. :-/ :-/

Shakey_Dog

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 11:27:11 AM »
You are not wrong.  That is the standard.  But I was just having a few home brews and thought why not.  

I primed 2 batches with  only 2 oz and they are great.  One is a APA and the other is a Brown (sorta).  They both came out great.  It just took a little longer to carb.

half of the fun is diving into the unknown.

Don

Offline MmmmBeer

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 08:27:49 AM »
Shakey_dog,
you answered my all grain questions so I'll return the favor....

Absolutely. Different style beers require different levels of carbonation. The more priming sugar the more resulting carbonation. Give it a try and keep good notes so you know how much to use next time.

modification