• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming

S

Shakey_Dog

Has anyone tried to only use 1oz to prime/carbinate any of their brews? :eek:

I ask because some of the the ones that I have used 1.5 oz are a little over carbinated for my taste.  I like the low Egnlish style of carb.

I will be brewing this weekend and was thinking of trying only an 1 oz when I bottle it.

Or, I just thought of this,  has anyone tried just bottle with out any priming sugar? :eek:.  That is probably crazy, but I would think that it should work.  

Don

Feel free to do so.  You are amking adjustments based on your brewing and your taste.

Go fo it!

Fred

I tried using very little priming sugar once, and it worked just fine.  I think I just used a little over 1.5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch.

I don't bottle much anymore though, except to enter contests.  I even got rid of my counter-pressure filler, and just bottle directly from the keg.  Seems to work just fine as long as the bottle gets used within a week or so.   Go figure...

-Brian

I think I am only going to try 1oz.  I Have used 1.5 and it is ok.  But what fun is brewing if you don't try new things. ;D

Don

i'm a rookie brewer'but from what i 've read on the internet i thought 5oz per 5 gallons was normal.am i wrong. :-/ :-/

You are not wrong.  That is the standard.  But I was just having a few home brews and thought why not.  

I primed 2 batches with  only 2 oz and they are great.  One is a APA and the other is a Brown (sorta).  They both came out great.  It just took a little longer to carb.

half of the fun is diving into the unknown.

Don

Shakey_dog,
you answered my all grain questions so I'll return the favor....

Absolutely. Different style beers require different levels of carbonation. The more priming sugar the more resulting carbonation. Give it a try and keep good notes so you know how much to use next time.

Back