• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

water/grain ratio bug in build 40

iophon

Apprentice
Reaction score
The water/grain ratio now rounds to one decimal place which, while not a deal breaker, is pretty obnoxious...I'd like 1.25 qts / 1 lb back... please!

Oh and thanks for all the other bug fixes, not trying to be a nay sayer here, just reporting...!

Thanks,
  Someone else notified me as well so I've already changed it to three digits for the next build.  It will probably be available here on the forum before I release it to everyone.

Brad

Yeah, this seems to effect my strike water amount.  I don't care so much about the ratio other than generally keeping it between 1.25 and 2.0 (for stuff with oats/wheat).  What I do is round up to the nearest half gallon.  So when I tried to change my strike water to 16qts it forces it to 1.5 qts/lb which saves as 16.13 qts after clicking OK.

Thanks!

Yes, PLEASE fix this.  I don't want to have to measure out 13.65 quarts of strike water.

This is a big enough issue for me to go back to v1.4 until this is fixed. 

WoodBrew said:
Yes, PLEASE fix this.  I don't want to have to measure out 13.65 quarts of strike water.

This is a big enough issue for me to go back to v1.4 until this is fixed.  

Ditto.
I've just tried to upscale a recipe in v2, and found this a real nuisance. I'm working in Litres, and kept trying to adjust the strike water to an even number (I'm not fussed about water/grain ratio) and it always changed from something like 15L to 15.34L.

Since my HLT has Litres marked out, it is much easier for me to measure out a whole litre and adjust the strike temp.

The last version had the option to chose between "water to add" or "Water/grain ratio"

Can this be reinstated?

(attachment shows screen grab of previous mash profile screen)

Attachments

• screengrab.jpg
    screengrab.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 391
I've run into this as well, but in a different way. It drives me crazy. I usually set my water by absolute amount, instead of by ratio. For example, if BeerSmith says I need 20.34 quarts of total water, I always sparge with 12, so I will set the mash water to 8.34 so I only have to set aside exactly 12 for the sparge and dump the rest into the mash. What happens is that BeerSmith calculates the ratio, then rounds it to one 1.5, and I end up with something like 8.532 quarts.

My solution is the same one I use whenever BeerSmith (1 or 2) has rounding problems. Type out the number into the field and hit enter without tabbing out or clicking anywhere else.

In more detail:
1. Click on the water amount field
2. Edit it with whatever long number you want, 8.325 for example
3. Press enter

It will save your more precise value, but if you open your mash profile and edit something it will round again, so watch for that.

Yep, just downloaded the new version and noticed this straight away.  I second WoodBrew in that this is a big enough problem for me to go back to using v1.4 until this bug is fixed.  I never use the liquor/grist ratio, but an absolute amount.  I'm trying for 16 quarts of mash water, but it keeps defaulting to exactly 1.5 qts per pound and 16.5 quarts of mash water.

Can you also change the mash step editor to allow us to edit the infusion temperature?  I'd like to set the infusion temperature to 212 for my mash-out step and have it calculate the required grain addition rather than the other way around.

Is this going to be a planned fix for the next build?  I'm brewing today, and I imported my recipe from v1.4.  The 16 qts. of water carried over from v1.4, but I can't change anything in the mash schedule else it defaults back to 16.5 qts.  It's extremely frustrating, as I'm trying to back calculate my mash tun's exact specific heat using the program, and when it defaults back to 16.5 qts. it skews all of my numbers.

:(

Is there an ETA on a new build that fixes this problem?  I'd rate this as a critical bug and it introduces a huge hit to usability. 

I'm going to agree with everyone else... I just posted a thread in the 'BeerSmith 2 Questions' section about this very issue before I realized it was being addressed here... Unfortunately for me I can't go back to v1.4, I had that on my old laptop and it recently crapped the bed and is no longer working.  So I'm stuck right now and very, very frustrated with this bug.

I've made the correction - I'm working a number of other issues which I plan to release as a fix no later than September.  If I can I will try to get this one out earlier as a patch here on the forum.

Brad

Just installed the latest update, and this seems to be fixed.

thanks!

Back