• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

screen real estate

doldenburg

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brad,

It's been discussed here that people want more room in the recipe view for new things on the screen, but that the "increase amount", etc. buttons are too big to allow this.

Why not replace them with small, tooltipped icons in the next version, or even move them into a MS-Word-style toolbar?  

I've been toying with how to solve the screen space problem.

One option is to divide the recipe editor into two pages (tabbed).  The first would be the main recipe and ingredients options and the second would have the mash profile, aging and carbonation.  The downside is (obviously) the two pages.

A toolbar is certainly an option as well - I could even embed a small toolbar directly in the recipe editor near the list of ingredients.  This might be good for the increase/decrease and delete buttons.

There are other options as well...but it is hard to eliminate any of the major fields.

Thoughts?

Brad

Just thoughts Brad, I have not thought everything thru,

Limit the width to approx the width of the ingreedients window, place the ingreedients buttons below the ingreedients screen.  Wording on them could be shortened to shrink the width.

Do NOT split into 2 pages,  a longer page would be OK.

add a toggle to turn on/off the view of the "directory bar" on the left.

Fred

Back