• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile problem

bonjour

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Brad,  
When I set up a mash profile within a recipe it is not picking up the grain weight.

Any Ideas?

Fred

Fred,
 Can you walk me through how you are doing it?

There are many ways to do any operation in BeerSmith, so it is possible that one way works and another has a bug in it.

I just did some quick tests, but did not duplicate your problem - most likely you are creating your mash profile in a different way than I am.

Also - I think I need to add you to the beta test team - you seem to have a great eye for picking out bugs!

Cheers!
Brad

Did I say I'm a software tester by trade ;)

I have successfully done this in the past.  
I've tried several options, none have worked.
Click Choose pick a default profile.  nada, click details to try to change - nada

Click Choose then New develop a profile - nada

Fred,
 I tried this again - one thing to watch for is that BeerSmith will only include the grains that go into the mash when calculating the mash profile.

This means that your "mash profile" grain weight might end up different than your total grain weight if you are using sugars and other non-mashable ingredients.

This caught me off guard as well - since I initially used a recipe with sugars in it.

I did locate one (minor) bug.  If you create a new profile from within the mash choose dialog it does not correctly copy over several parameters.  This needs to be fixed in the next version.

Cheers!
Brad

That may be the problem, if grain weight is a parameter that is having issues.

check your email for recipe.bsm

call me (phone in email)

later,
Fred

Oh,

and the issue with sugars not being counted, I was looking for you to make an error there.

Fred

Fred,
 Your 18 lbs of grain is marked "Add after boil" which is why it is not being included in the mash.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks,  

That was it.

Did you correct the Briess grain settings 'cause I have many set that way by default.  Missed that one completely.

Fred

Yes,
 I just corrected them and posted a new file at the same link.

I will also post this in the news section so anyone who might have downloaded the incorrect ones can correct it.

Cheers!
Brad

Fred,
 No problem - I think it will all work out just fine.

If anyone did download the Briess grains before 9 Dec - just download them again and  overwrite with the new update.  

The older listings are easy to spot - as many of the grains have the "Add after boil" flag checked.  None of the new listings have the "Add after boil" flag checked.

Cheers!
Brad

Back