• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Screen

S

SAHomeBrew

I work for a metal fabrication company (has it's advantages as you will see) and have planned on using a gott cooler (10gal) for my mash tun. The question is this. We are developing the program to make the screen, from what I have seen/read the screens you buy may float when you put your hot liquor in it due to expansion of the plastic (don't really think a stainless screen will float...but). What I intended to do was to make the screen about 6mm larger than the cold measurement of the cooler, put about 150 degree water in the cooler, then put in the screen. (costing me about $1 for 304 stainless scrap, see the advantage of where I work, we use stainless like most people use paper). I think if I put a handle on the screen, I'll be able to pull it out with the same method.

Should I do this? Or just make it the right size to just sit in the cooler? I do see a problem of "ease" of cleaning.

Suggestions? Comments?

I'll gladly send you a dollar for a piece of "scrap" 304.

I would make it to fit cold easily.

Are you going to dome it os have it set on "legs"?  I would form the outer edge down 90 degrees about 3/8inch and place a couple of 3/8 spacer strategicly under the middle.  The actual spacer size would depend on your fluid pickup system.  (typically an elbow open on the sides under the screen.

Fred

No need to make it fit tight, my stainless screen does not phloat, unlike my old plastic screen.

Sorry for the long delay, moved to TN and just really getting going on brewing again (made a very nice IPA 2 weekends ago) My screens are being made this week, let you know how they came out. Decided to have 2 made, one for the 5gal cooler, and one for the 10gal cooler. Going to set myself up for both sizes, thought it might come in handy (and for about 68cent a screen, why not)

Back