• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment bug - Mac

iophon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Since upgrading to the current build one recipe keeps changing the saved Equipment profile associated with the recipe - in this case "Lost Trub and Chiller" volume is changed to 3 gallons and "Top up water" is changed to 5 gallons. I change it back (1.65 and 1) and save the recipe, when I open it again it has reverted back to these values. All associated values are rewritten also so Boil volume changes if the calculate check box is selected, Evaporation rate changes etc. Subsequent IBU calculations are clearly also changed. This is  major bug obviously.

One other recipe also had this problem after upgrading, or rather when I opened the recipe the IBU calculation was wildly off and I discovered that the culprit was the equipment profile associated with the recipe - a saved profile BTW - had wrong values for Lost Trub and Top up water. However after saving the equipment profile stuck for that recipe.

I am having a very similar problem.  I created an equipment profile for my brewing equipment and all of the parameters are set and saved correctly.  When I use this profile in a recipe, everything is correct until I click the "Ok" button and save/exit the recipe.  At that time, the "Loss to Trub and Chiller" value is set to 0.00 and the "Top Up Water" value is set to 3.00, which of course changes my calculated boil volume.  This messes up the IBU calculation and the Brew Steps printout indicates the wrong values for water to add for mash, etc.  I can "fix" the miscalculations by just reselecting my equipment profile in the "Equipment" drop-down as the values saved in my equipment profile are correct but as soon as I save/close the recipe, the values are changed again.

I just downloaded and installed today (version 2.0.50 on Mac OSX 10.6.8) and I'm wondering if this is a known problem with a fix.

This is also my problem on Mac and it is really starting to give me the sh*ts.

1. I set up the equipment profile for my system.  All good.

2. I design a recipe. All good.

3. I brew the recipe - hit my targets. All good.

4. Click on "ok". Not good.

When looking at the recipe in 'print' format or when re-opening the recipe, my equipment profile has changed the 'fermenter losses' to 0 (should be 1 litre) and the 'Loss to trub and chiller'  changes to 0.95 (should be 5 litres). This makes an AIPA recipe go from 70 IBU to 90 IBU (for e.g.) and is a pain in the arse.

It would be great if this could be addressed, or let us know if there is a fix/workaround.

Cheers all.

I am fairly well fed up, just upgraded to 2.0.50 before posting this hoping it would help. Nope.

p.s. - love the little questions under the "captcha" verification - makes me wonder if I'm a replicant or not...

Hi,
  Can you send me a sample equipment profile and recipe where you are having this problem (send the equipment profile separately from the recipe)?

I am working bugs for the next day or two and would like to nail this one down, but it has been a challenge duplicating it on my end so far...please use the Export Selected command to export the equipment to one file and recipe to another and email them to beersmith at my beersmith.com domain.

Thanks!
Brad

I have had this bug since initial release of BS2 and with OSX Snow Leopard. Newest Beersmith2 upgrade or OSX Lion upgrade did not change behaviour.

I always have to re-select equipment profile when I open recipe, or calculated values are wrong. It just seems that values from equipment profile are not used when recipe is initially opened or wrong values are saved when recipe is closed. "Equipment" field however shows correctly my BIAB equipment profile.

Thanks Brad,

I have just sent you my equipment profile and an AIPA recipe that the problem occurs with.

Cheers.

I also made tests with equipment and recipes.

Warning techspecs will follow:

Values from Recipe.bsmx file:
<F_R_EQUIPMENT><_MOD_>2022-11-11</_MOD_>
<F_E_NAME>ForestVillage BIAB</F_E_NAME>
<F_E_MASH_VOL>1690.6913913</F_E_MASH_VOL>
<F_E_TUN_MASS>141.0958720</F_E_TUN_MASS>
<F_E_BOIL_RATE_FLAG>1</F_E_BOIL_RATE_FLAG>
<F_E_TUN_SPECIFIC_HEAT>0.1200000</F_E_TUN_SPECIFIC_HEAT>
<F_E_TUN_DEADSPACE>0.0000000</F_E_TUN_DEADSPACE>
<F_E_TUN_ADJ_DEADSPACE>0</F_E_TUN_ADJ_DEADSPACE>
<F_E_CALC_BOIL>1</F_E_CALC_BOIL>
<F_E_BOIL_VOL>371.6139678</F_E_BOIL_VOL>
<F_E_BOIL_TIME>60.0000000</F_E_BOIL_TIME>
<F_E_OLD_EVAP_RATE>10.0000000</F_E_OLD_EVAP_RATE>
<F_EQUIP_39>1</F_EQUIP_39>
<F_E_BOIL_OFF>67.6276557</F_E_BOIL_OFF>
<F_E_TRUB_LOSS>0.0000000</F_E_TRUB_LOSS>
<F_E_COOL_PCT>4.0000000</F_E_COOL_PCT>
<F_E_TOP_UP_KETTLE>0.0000000</F_E_TOP_UP_KETTLE>
<F_E_BATCH_VOL>676.2765565</F_E_BATCH_VOL>
<F_E_FERMENTER_LOSS>32.1231364</F_E_FERMENTER_LOSS>
<F_E_TOP_UP>384.1250841</F_E_TOP_UP>
<F_E_EFFICIENCY>70.0000000</F_E_EFFICIENCY>
<F_E_HOP_UTIL>100.0000000</F_E_HOP_UTIL>
<F_E_NOTES></F_E_NOTES>

Values from Equipment.bsmx:

<Equipment><_MOD_>2011-11-21</_MOD_>
<F_E_NAME>ForestVillage BIAB</F_E_NAME>
<F_E_MASH_VOL>1690.6913913</F_E_MASH_VOL>
<F_E_TUN_MASS>141.0958720</F_E_TUN_MASS>
<F_E_BOIL_RATE_FLAG>1</F_E_BOIL_RATE_FLAG>
<F_E_TUN_SPECIFIC_HEAT>0.1200000</F_E_TUN_SPECIFIC_HEAT>
<F_E_TUN_DEADSPACE>33.8138278</F_E_TUN_DEADSPACE>
<F_E_TUN_ADJ_DEADSPACE>0</F_E_TUN_ADJ_DEADSPACE>
<F_E_CALC_BOIL>1</F_E_CALC_BOIL>
<F_E_BOIL_VOL>841.2880363</F_E_BOIL_VOL>
<F_E_BOIL_TIME>60.0000000</F_E_BOIL_TIME>
<F_E_OLD_EVAP_RATE>10.0000000</F_E_OLD_EVAP_RATE>
<F_EQUIP_39>1</F_EQUIP_39>
<F_E_BOIL_OFF>67.6276557</F_E_BOIL_OFF>
<F_E_TRUB_LOSS>101.4414835</F_E_TRUB_LOSS>
<F_E_COOL_PCT>4.0000000</F_E_COOL_PCT>
<F_E_TOP_UP_KETTLE>67.6276557</F_E_TOP_UP_KETTLE>
<F_E_BATCH_VOL>676.2765565</F_E_BATCH_VOL>
<F_E_FERMENTER_LOSS>33.8138278</F_E_FERMENTER_LOSS>
<F_E_TOP_UP>33.8138278</F_E_TOP_UP>
<F_E_EFFICIENCY>70.0000000</F_E_EFFICIENCY>
<F_E_HOP_UTIL>100.0000000</F_E_HOP_UTIL>
<F_E_NOTES></F_E_NOTES>
</Equipment>

It seems that recipe date is wrong (year 2022 ???) and also
tun deadspace, boil vol, grub loss, top up kettle, fermenter loss and top up
values does not save along with recipe.

Is the wrong date handling the culprit here, thing that MAC does differently than PC and which triggers some "wrong date, use default values" code branch?

Thanks,
  I was able to duplicate this with the file you sent.  I have a fix in build 2.0.51 which will be available soon which has been able to correct this in testing I've done so far.

Brad

This bug is not fixed in 2.0.52

All values of equipment profile does not save along with recipe.
Recipe pages reports are useless, because they do not use correct equipment profile and when I open recipe I must always re-select used equipments.

I tested this also by creating new equipment and new recipe and nope, does not work.

Thanks
  I actually did put a fix in but missed one case which I believe is the one still causing problems.  I promise I will get another build out by tomorrow.  I do apologize.

Brad

Ok,
  Worked on this for many hours today and finally published build 53 which I believe finally fixes this thing for good.
    Download (beta) is here: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,6209.0.html

If you find additional problems, please post detailed step-by-step here on how to reproduce it.

Thanks
Brad

Thanks Brad, I just downloaded the new version and played around with the recipes and it seems to have fixed this issue. 

Your efforts are deeply appreciated by the homebrew community and the product is fantastic for the price etc etc etc.

Cheers mate, Keep up the good work and I'll let you know if I experience any other hiccups...

LF.

Back