• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

FWH Hop Addition does not show in Brew Steps

Sammy01

Apprentice
Reaction score
When choosing First Wort Hop additions, the choice appears in the recipe ingredient list in the proper order but when viewing/printing the Brew Steps Report, this item does not appear. I expected to see it in the "Mash or Steep Grains Section", perhaps with a subheading similar to the one for "Grains to Steep".

That's very odd - I just took the "Wit" recipe from the samples, and changed the single hop addition to "First Wort Hops" type.  When I click on the brew steps it very clearly shows it as a "First Wort Hops" addition just below the mash steps in a separate section.  I'm assuming you are seeing something different on your end?

Do you have a particular recipe you are having trouble with you could send me?

Brad

After receiving your reply, I did as you did on the same recipe. With All Grain or Partial Mash selected, the First Wort addition appears as expected; but, if you choose Extract on the same Wit recipe, the mash grains are reported as steep grains (as expected) but the First Wort Hops section disappears.

My recipe behaved similarly. If I change it to Partial Mash or All Grain, the steeping grain becomes part of the mash and the First Wort Hops appear in their proper place. Returning the recipe type to Extract changes the grains to Steep Grains and the First Wort Hops disappears from the Brew Steps.

You can replicate this behavior by opening a sample extract recipe such as Tori's Honey Wheat and changing the Northern Brewer Hops to First Wort. When Brew Steps is displayed, the Northern Brewer is not there. Change the brewing method to All Grain and it shows up in the expected location.

I know that the First Wort Hop technique is typical of a post-mash process. However, I believe that this technique can be effective following grain steeping in an extract recipe(i.e. steep 1# of Caramel for 30 minutes then steep FWH for thirty minutes at the same 150+/- temperature before moving to the boil stage).

Since the FWH IBU calculation appears to calculate properly in the recipe and in the Hop Bitterness Tool I thought its failure to appear in Brew Steps might be a bug. If you considered FWH during extract brewing to be sufficiently uncommon as not to merit scarce programming resources, then it is not a bug (but might be a future feature?).

By the way, I am a trial user. Your rapid response to both of my posted comments has been consistent with my overall impression of your website and software product. I'll be moving into the owner column this week.

Back