• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late Boil Addition issues

JupiterJesus

Apprentice
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention these issues. They existed in BeerSmith 1 and now they are in BeerSmith 2.

1. You can't do a late boil on sugars, but you can with extract. So, you tell BeerSmith that you want to boil a pound of DME for 5 minutes, but you can't tell it to boil a pound of lactose or corn sugar for 5 minutes - you can only check the 'add after boil' box for sugar. My workaround is to change that specific sugar addition to an extract in the drop-down list.

2. When you specify something as late boil or add after boil, it appears in the ingredient list after the yeast. It also appears in the brew steps sheet as something you need to add to the fermentor. I don't know about you, but I put my sugar in the kettle, not in the fermentor after pitching the yeast!

And most annoying is that late additions affects the preboil OG. I do not see how that can be a feature.

Back