• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mead Making with Beersmith 2

JStapleton

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to make a recipe for Mead vs Beer?  And tailor print outs excluding Boil Wort - Mash or Steep Grains---just for a Mead?

Not exactly.

I'm not understanding what you expect to print out. Wine is a recipe more than a process. You would be printing out
"Add 12lbs of honey, 4 gallons cider, 2 1/2tsp pectic enzyme, 3tsp acid blend, 4tsp yeast nutrient, 5 camden tablets."
"Stir until well mixed and pitch yeast."

You mainly need BeerSmith to be better at estimating SG and that seems to be a case of garbage in = garbage out when it comes to wine.
The yeast nutrient, acid blend and other wine ingredients can be added to misc. to keep track of the recipe.

The yields seem to be where the big problem comes in for BeerSmith and wine. 76% for honey works out for what my meads come out to be. Since the fruits and honeys vary you have to figure it out according to your supply.

You have to make new mash profiles for wine. Zero out all the boil and set the batch size for your exact final volume. BeerSmith will assume your whole volume is water at 1.000 and then adjust that with the ppppg of your additions. Kind of a round about way of figuring I'm adding a gallon of honey and 4 gallons of cider for 5 gallons, but it's a beer program.

Until it has a place to enter alcohol tolerance for yeast and fermentability of sugar it's not going to be very good at estimating the FG of wine (or beer IMO). Just like knowing what adding 3lbs of crystal will do to your beer is required you're going to need to know the alcohol tolerance of your yeast and the fementability of the sugars you use.

Back