• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Details tab - Est Pre Boil Gravity field

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
It looks like this field includes any DME/LME.  I add my extracts at first boil as a 60 minute addition.  Is the program saying that the extracts be added along with top off water?  What are the benefits and/or consequences of adding any extract while heating the full volume to a boil?

Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Were you able to determine if the Pre-boil gravity field did include any DME added after mash-out?  I had a similar experience with an IPA last night.  My pre-boil gravity was 10 points low, so I added 28 ounces of DME prior to starting the boil.  I ended up with an OG 8 points higher than anticipated.  My recipe called for 36 ounces at 60 minutes into the boil.  I was using a 90 minute boil and didn't want to add the extract until I had boiled the wort down some.

Yes, it does.  This wash a partial mash so would have liked extracts taken out of preboil gravity.  I do allgrain now.

Thanks for the response.  After going back through my notes, I suspected the program calculated the DME addition into the Pre-Boil gravity.  I usually hit my gravities +/- 2 points, except on this particular recipe.  I thought by using the DME as a late addition, I could keep my brewhouse efficiency rating set at 70%.  I'll drop my brewhouse efficiency on the "bigger" beers so I don't have to add the DME.

Back