• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Going to be buy a freezer 12.5 cu.ft or up to 15 Cu.ft.

beercheer4me

Master Brewer
Reaction score
My ?'s are what's to expected, with Lager and Pils fermations are they slow,fast , need to use blow down tube , should something be build in the floor where the carboys set just wanting  some idea's from someone who has been to cold side ferms for a while and what thing can go wrong, any good idea's greatfull , IE . good books, ect tools, anything that comes to mine.
Looking at yard sales, new papers for a used chest freezer, auctions.
Thanks  John

I have done 3 lager batches so far and all tuned out excellent.  I have an 8 cu ft chest freezer that serves both as my keg coolerand for fermenting lagers/lagering.  All I did was put a piece of plywood in the bottom to set the kegs and carboys on.  I don't use blow off tubes - just a regular lock; but I use 6.5 gal carboys for the primary for 5 gal batches so I haven't had  a runover.  I ferment at 50 F and then lager at 35 F.  At the colder temps, fermentation takes longer - 3 weeks seems to be the norm for the primary.

You need to have a healthy yeast crop to get a good fermentation.  I've found that using Goferm while hydrating dry yeasts works well.  Also make sure the wort is aerated.  Some books recommend pitching twice the yeast normally used to get a good fermentation at the lower temperature.  I've found pitching the yeast while the wort is still at room temperature and immediately putting the carboy in the cooler allows it to get off to a good start and the temperature cools to 50F before any off flavors are created.

When I transfer to the secondary (when activity is visbly slowing), I allow the beer to come to room temperature for a couple of days for a diacetyl rest.  Then back into the cooler for 4 weeks to lager.

The two books I've found most useful are How to Brew - John Palmer and Nwe Brewing Lager Beer - Noonan to be the most useful.

Thanks
I make starters now,,,
I do have the yeast book.
I did find a freeze for 100.00 picking it up tommorrow,sweet.12 cubicfoot
I did find a good book on water profiles called   
  *  beer captured* , it sh ows to water propile to beer style insteadof by country.
I like it lot better because in conjunction with beersmith I just add my salts
thanks dave in pa

Back