• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Measuring volume of carboy

merfizle

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm going to start paying more attention to my volumes throughout the brewing process.  I already have a good method for my brewpots but with the small o4 pening of a carboy I'm not sure what to use.  I thought about running to the hobby store to get a long wooden dowel but wasn't sure if this would contaminate my beer?  Ideas please?

Thanks.

Mark

Add exactly one gallon at a time and mark it with Sharpie or tape? 

MaltLicker said:

I second this.  I've found that regular Sharpies wiped off my glass carboy, so ended up buying "industrial" Sharpies at Staples that seem to work.

I bought a 36 inch metal yardstick at Home Depot for around $3. I measure one gallon at a time and make a reference sheet. My 6.5 gallon carboys are the same so it works for everything.

I also use this for a keggle and other brew pot.

Then you have no five gallon carboys, right?  ;)

MaltLicker said:
+1

Although after time I do have to do a touch-up to my marks. Has worked great for me for going on 13 years.... I think I have touched up my marks maybe 3 times.

Back