• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun specific heat

enig

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm trying to adjust the Mash tun specific heat to match my equipment. But when I change the value there's no change in the mash values in the recipe, even if I have checked the box for adjusting to equipment. The only way I have found is to make the change in the mash tun specific heat and make the recipe all over. First then the changes takes place. Is there not any easier way? It's so frustrating having to do all this steps to change something that should have changed automatically... Or have I overlooked something?

Hi,
  I just ran a few tests and it appears to be working fine on my end. 

Make sure you are editing the equipment profile in the recipe itself (each recipe has a complete copy of the equipment profile, so you need to edit the one in the recipe or choose your profile again).

It will only adjust it if you have the "Adjust to equipment" box checked, but changing the mash tun specific heat for an equipment profile in the recipe will adjust the initial mash in step upwards (at least if you are doing an infusion mash).  Obviously if you are doing a temperature mash it will not change it.

Brad

Yeah, it was the initial value I tried getting right. But isn't there any way to make the equipment settings outside the recipe affect the values inside the recipe? I tried choosing equipment profile again after changing the settings outside of the recipe, but it's only the copy that appears on the list, so can't make the current global settings affect the recipe. Shouldn't it be possible to do this?

Edit: As an example, in the case where you have made changes to your equipment, and are going to brew an old recipe. Isn't there any way to adjust the old recipe to the current equipment settings without changing the values manually? As it is now I have to go back and forth between the two settings windows (it's not even possible to have the two settings windows open at the same time, and it's quite frustrating).

I think not.  Many Equipment and even Ingredient "factors" are independent when inside a recipe.  I think the logic is "done deal" and once a recipe is brewed, that equipment, that "aged" hop, etc., has been used and that recipe is complete.  Can't change it now. 

If you change pots or get a hop with different AA%, you'd duplicate the original recipe and have a v2 with new pot and new hop. 

Otherwise, if you changed your Equipment profile for some reason, such as bought a much bigger pot, and it automatically affected all "linked" recipes, your old recipes could get garbled badly. 

What about a button in the recipe window that says "Update equipment profile" or something like that? That wouldn't be to hard to implement either, would it?

Back