• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't Find Custom Template

dongordon

Apprentice
Reaction score
After creating a custom template, I placed it in the documents/beersmith2/reports directory.  when I try to add it through the options reports dialogue, I keep getting an error saying it can not find the template.  The only possible problem I see is the beersmith2 error message says it is looking in "documents".  With windows 7 there is a "my documents" directory.  I checked the file change documents directory and it seems to point to the my documents/beersmith2 directory.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong???
Thanks
DG

Hi,
  Check to make sure your file is named correctly.

For example, I created a report and named it "test.txt" - and in windows it was listed as test.txt.  However when I tried to use it as a template, it could not find it.  After wasting a lot of time, I found out that Windows had added an extra ".txt" to the name so it was actually named "test.txt.txt" - However Windows is set up to hide the name extension by default so it showed up as "test.txt" instead of "test.txt.txt"

I actually spent an hour on this before I figured out windows was hiding the extra extension...

In fact BeerSmith does look in the correct directory - most likely you have a situation like the one above where windows may be hiding the true file name.  You need to use the options in windows explorer to have it show all file name extensions and then make sure you are typing in the right name.

Brad

Thanks Brad for the response and suggestion.  I had checked the file name before I wrote the post and just checked it again.  It is fine.  I also tried moving the file to a new directory and changing the direction with file change documents directory.  Still it can not find the html file.  By the way, when I change the directory and try to add the report, the error message says it is still trying to find the file in documents/beersmith2/reports.

Would it be useful to completely reinstall BS2????  I sure would like to have my templates for use.

Thanks for your advice.
Don

Sorry if I'm wasting your time with something you've already looked at, but I had this problem until I realized the program I was using to edit my report was saving the file as .html and not .htm

Don,
  I did check the code (spent several hours on it) and ran several examples through - it is checking the correct directory (it does look in the changed directory if you change the directory for your documents somewhere else).

Make sure you have windows set up to show file name extensions (its in the windows explorer options).  Your file name has to match including the extension - for example you would type in "test.txt" for the file named test.txt

Brad

I am having the same problem.  I've gone so far as coping and pasting the names to avoid fat finger syndrome.  And I still get the "Could not find your template......." Error.  Windows is set to display extensions as well.

In The type field your choices are Plain Text (TXT) or Web Page (HTML), but all the other default files in the report folder are .htm

Tried dragging and dropping a default document into the add document area as well.  This prompted a "This is not a recognized BeerSmith File format" Error Message.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm working this again...the text template worked for me but the HTML seems to have some kind of problem so I'm running the debugger.  I promise whatever I find will be in the next set of fixes here.

Brad

Has this issue been resolved yet?  I had the exact same problem last night as I tried unsuccessfully to install a report/template - htmls no workie!

I've now tried this a lot (including with the debugger) and if you get the path and name correct it will accept your file name. 

However, since so many people have had problems, I'm adding a "choose" button to the next version to make it possible for you to simply choose the file you want to use.

Brad

Outstanding solution!  If we can just point at the file we want using the normal directory functions that would be grand.
Thank You

Back