• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water volumes bug

suprchunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
When adjusting my grain weight in the water volume tab it will horribly miscalculate my volume of water needed. If I change what it has by default, which should be pulled in from the design page - it's not, then it seems to multiply exponentially until it hits infinity. It hasn't crashed yet, but given enough time it should. Or it will just eat up some space.

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• beersmith2bug.png
    beersmith2bug.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 362
Hi,
  I think the problem is that the mash grain weight is not an adjustable field (or should not be) - it is determined from the overall ingredients list. 

I need to make it "read only" so you can't edit it from here and that should correct the issue.

Brad

That should correct the miscalculations, but it will not correct the fact that the actual value that is default does not match up with the grain bill in the recipe tab.

The field in the water calculations tab should get the same exact information from the recipe tab. They should be the same text field.

Attached is the same recipe. I just tabbed between the two tabs. Quite the difference.

Attachments

• beersmith2bug2.png
    beersmith2bug2.png
    322.9 KB · Views: 358
  • beersmith2bug3.png
    beersmith2bug3.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 360
I would like to weigh in here on the water volume input.  My system is maxed out. I do 10 gal all grain and would like to lock in my mash water volume, and sparge volume.  I don’t want the software to calculate this for me based on grain weight total. I mash with 6.75 gal of water, and sparge with 9-10 gal.  This gives me grain absorption, boil off and temp shrink pretty close to 10 gal final every time.  This is more like the big boys do for low and high gravity beers.  The only thing that really changes is the amount of grain and adjuncts.  How bout it?

Hi,
  If you want a fixed volume every time you might want to look at the "BIAB" profiles - these essentially keep the water volumes fixed every time and have no sparge water added - allowing the water/grain ratio to change with every batch.  It may not be exactly what you want but it could probably come close with a bit of tweaking.

Brad

I don't want that. But thanks for hijacking the thread. I want to be able to get my calculations by whatever means are built in. This was a feature I was looking at while perusing the new interface. It is way off and would only mess up my brewday if I were to follow it. I will now have to double check everything else before I actually brew. Which makes having the software kind of moot.

Back