• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Scaling problem

hike20

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm getting weird results using the recipe scaling function. In some recipes the percentages of different grains changes significantly after scaling. I've tried it with both the "match gravity, etc." option on and off with the same results. I've attached two files: "Saison" is the recipe I entered from Brewing Classic Styles, and the "Saison 2.5G" is a scaled down version. I would expect the percentage of Munich and Wheat malts to be the same but they are different in the scaled version.

When I export the original recipe to BS 1.4 format and scale it there I get predictable results. Both equipment profiles where imported from my v1.4 software, if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• Saison.bsmx
    21.6 KB · Views: 178
  • Saison_2.5G.bsmx
    21.7 KB · Views: 179
Can anyone duplicate this? I'd sure like to know if it's really a bug or something messed up on my end. This is the tool I use BS the most for. I've attached the equipment profiles if that help or makes a difference.

Attachments

• my_equipment.bsmx
    2.2 KB · Views: 184
Hi,
  Looking at both versions, it looks like it actually scaled correctly.  The difference is that BeerSmith 2 matches the OG's when it scales (i.e. it holds the OG constant between both recipes) while BeerSmith 1.4 did not.  If you look at the two recipes you posted side by side you will see that the OG, bitterness (IBUs) and color match exactly between the unscaled and scaled versions.

I don't think this is a bad result - were you looking for the software to just do a straight scaling by final volumes?

Brad

Thanks Brad,

I often think about grist portion of my recipes in percentage points and the fact that scaling a recipe changes the proportions doesn't make sense to me. It looks like BS makes adjustment to the grist proportions to match the color of the beer, and that is good, but why does it need to do it? What else comes in to play here?

It does make small adjustments to match color.  I guess I could have it not match the color and retain an exact grain percentage, but my thinking was that color was an important consideration when scaling a recipe.

Brad

Back