• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

late addition of extract option

bonjour

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of discussion about the late addition of extracts.  Obviously this creates issues for hop utilizations.  I can approximate this by formulating a recipe (or several recipes) with boiling different amounts of extract for different amounts of time and combining the IBU's generated from the different instances.

But,  are you thinking of adding this capability in a future version?

Fred

Fred,
 It has been on my "to do" list for some time now.  I started to implement it for V1.3, but some of the math gets rather complex if you can add extracts at different times.  This is due to the fact that you have to account for it in all of the hops formulas, plus their inverses to get it correct.  It looks deceptively simple, but it is actually quite hard

I'm planning to work through it in the next round of major updates.  It is very close to the top of the list.

Cheers!
Brad

I knew this was not a trivial change.  

Brew Well
Fred

I don't know anything about the brewing calculations, that is why I love using brewing software ;)  .   But, from what I understand most late addition brewers add the extract within the last 15 min. Would it be easier to just have a calculation for 15 in boil, 10 min, 5 min, and flameout?  Once again, I know nothing about how the math works so if the issue is not with calculating time in 60 min. increments I apologize.

No problem,
 It is a little complicated, but I'm hoping to include this in the next update.

Cheers!
Brad

Back