• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Clolour & IBU's

4x

Brad,

I have some doubt where to input colour values. I have a Kit Of MORGAN'S DOCKSIDE STOUT. Their web page states that when made up, the colour to 23 lts it has an srm of 81.5 and ibu of 32. I presume that these figures should be reflected on the main recipe page under Beer Profile (left hand column) in their respective fields. If so, then the kit of 1.7 kg would have an srm of 529 in its concentrated form. This figure(srm of 529) then needs to be imputed in the extract profile for this kit in the colour field so that when made up to 23 lts the resulting colour would be 81.5. It's basically the same story for the ibu.
Am I on the right tract?

Adding a little SKULLDUGGERY to the brew
4X ???

I think you are on the right track.  The SRM for concentrated stout could be in the 500 range (sounds high), though I think the 81SRM final color is a little suspect (unfortunately there are lots of bad formulas for color out there...you see color gets non-linear beyond about 20 SRM...but that's for another discussion).  Stouts rarely run beyond 45 SRM if properly calculated.

The IBU's are probably correct - I would personally match it with some suitable pellet hops (EK Goldings for example) to back out the equivalent amount of hops from the IBU number.

Cheers!
Brad

Back