• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopping

noreaster

Apprentice
Reaction score
This may have been discussed elsewhere in the forum but I haven't found it and I was wondering what others thoughts are.

I came up with an IPA recipe using Beersmith which I enjoy and have made a few times with similar results. I make 5 gallon batches and batch sparge. For the hop additions to the boil I add the hops in a muslin bag and to dry hop I just drop the pellet hops into the secondary glass fermenter. Always seemed to work for me.

I decided to make a 10 gallon batch but had to use my brothers equipment to do it because he has everything for doing 10 gallon batches. Thing is he fly sparges and uses a Blichmann fermenter. I used the Beersmith software to scale the recipe and away we went. Thing is he also has a Blichmann Boilmaker with a hop blocker so we just tossed the pellet hops loose into the boil. When the time take to dry hop we put the pellets into a muslin bag and hung them from the lid into the wort. The opposite way I do it when I do my 5 gallon batches but never gave it a thought.

When time came to keg it I noticed the beer didn't have the hop aroma my past batches had. And when I tasted it, it was much more bitter than usual.

Now, I've read where some have said it doesn't much of any difference how the hops is added, it should pretty much come out the same. After this experience, I think I'm begging to differ. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks.

I've read where some have said it doesn't much of any difference how the hops is added

Don't believe everything you read.  Think about it.  A bulging muslin bag of hops vs the contents freely dispersed.  Which will contribute more?

Common sense, dude.

Back