• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water test PH 7.2

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I had my well tested for bacteria and nitrates. As long as I was doing that I had the lab measure the PH of my water. The result came back at 7.2PH.

In general, will this water be better suited for lighter colored beers, or, darker?

The relative neutral pH makes it great for sparging.  From my understanding of water chemistry, it is the combo of the water's minerals with the given grain bill that determines the mash pH.  Especially the calcium, magnesium, and carbonates. 

I think you and I could have the same pH, but still have wildly different mineral levels, so it's unclear.

I think carbonates are the primary factor in determing what beer style water is best suited for - high carbonates (hence high pH) is best for dark beers/stouts, low carbonate water (low pH) is best for light beers.  Total Ca and Mg also have an effect.  You need a more detailed water analysis to determine this with any certainty.

Back