• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Making a stout w/out kit

lolidk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I am a relatively new brewer, (on my 3rd batch now,) and I wanted to make a stout without a kit. I grow my own hops (of the zeus variety) and also my own barley (even though I usually but it, and will do so for this batch if needed). Could someone give a "recipe" as guidlines? (brand of malt, amount of hops, etc.) 

Alright, internet has been fixed, and I have found the ingredients. http://hopville.com/recipe/96999/oatmeal-stout-recipes/chocolate-oatmeal-stout# I am making that recipe, but I only want to make 1 gallon, not six. I divided all the measurements by 6, but what dhould I do for the brew time?

Brew time is not dependent on batch volume, at least on the home brewing level.  I suggest you get How to Brew, by John Palmer (or read it on line) and learn the process before committing to brewing a batch.  All grain is very different from kit beer - it takes a lot more time to mash the grain and extract the wort by sparging.  I can't imagine investing the time involved in mashing/sparging/brewing to make only one gallon.

Listen to the Jamil Show on the Brew Network. He has some awesome recipes on the old Podcasts. You can get them free on iTunes. -And get the book by John Palmer like DaveinPa says.

with Zeus hops, have you thought about making it an imperial stout?

Back