• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Honey listed as sugar?

Delaney

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to confirm that honey should be listed as a sugar, and not an extract?

I like this product, but why buy it if I cannot recieve support regarding the product...I don't mean to come off as rude but I'm new to brewing and don't want to invest time and money into a recipe that I'm unsure of...

I've read that honey is typically 80% sugar...Should I then list it as sugar in BeerSmith and input 80% of the actualy weight being used?

Sorry it takes a while to get answers on simple topics like this.

Honey is listed in beer smith under the sugars as it is a fermentable, but neither a grain nor a malt extract.  Since it needs somewhere to live, it has it's home under sugars - a debatable one for some but a reasonable compromise by Brad, the designer.

That said,  do not worry about it for recipe design as the fermentable potential of the honey is what matters, rather than how much of it is really sugar by scientific classification.  The potential is the amount of sugary stuff that could be turned into alcohol. Beer smith will automagically use that number to work out the contribution of the honey to the specific gravity of the beer, so you don't need to worry about the 80% figure at all.

I hope this helps.  I sometimes have to look for non-standard beer ingredients in BSM, but they are usually there, somewhere.  It just takes a while to learn the quirks or features.

R

Back