• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Strike water temp bug?

doldenburg

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brad,

It appears to me that the mash profile doesn't take into account the weight of the grain when it calculates the amount of strike water to add.

I say this because when I change the amount of grain, the amount of strike water doesn't change accordingly.

Is there something I don't know?

David

David,
 It does not change if you are building a mash profile, since most of the mash profiles are built around a basic weight like 10lb.

It does, however, scale correctly when you apply the mash profile to a recipe.  For example if you increase the amount of grain in a recipe you will see the mash water increasing with it.

The only case where this might not happen is if you have the "Add after boil" button checked for the grains - in which case they will not be included in the mash.

Cheers!
Brad

Brad,  

You're right, it does change.  However, it's still always wrong, at least in the way I'm using it.  Here is a screen shot:

Error.jpg

As you can see, I have 6.79 kg of grain, and a ratio of 2.25 L/kg of water for my mash in.  Yet, the mash-in description says I should add 4.69L of water, rather than the correct amount of 15.27L.

Can you explain why I'm getting this behavior?

David,
 A few suggestions:

1) Make sure you have version 1.3, build 022 (which is the current build).  You can check it using the About command on the Help menu.  We did have a bug with this in an earlier version.

2) Make sure none of your grains has the "Add after boil" box checked - this would remove it from the mash.  Also make sure you are not using any extracts, sugars or other stuff that would not be included in the mash.  Only items in the mash will be counted for determining the mash profile.

3) Send me a copy of the recipe via email.  If this is a new bug I can walk through it with the debugger and probably come up with an easy way to fix it.

Thanks for your patience!

Brad

Sure enough.  I had "add after boil" checked for several of the grains.  I didn't even know there was such an option.  

It appears that "add after boil" is the default option for all of the Briess grains I recently downloaded.  Is there an easy way to change all the grains back to *not* add after boil for the default?

Thanks,
David

Opps,  I didn't know you could do that when I put the Briess together.

Open the Grains & Extract file from BeerSmith.  
Right click on the header bar and select Customize columns.  
Add "Supplier"
Click on "Supplier" to sort by supplier
Select all the Briess grains
Hit your Delete Key to delete all the selected grains.
Download the Briess Grains (They are the corrected version) from the BeerSmith Website.

Fred Bonjour

David,
 My apologies, but for a few days we had an initial offering of Briess grains on the web site with "Add after boil" checked.

We fixed that around December 9th, so if you just download the new Briess file you should be fine.  You may also need to fix "Add after boil" on recipes you created with the Briess grains, as the recipe stores an independent copy of the ingredients (separate from the main database).

Cheers!
Brad

Back