• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weight percentages of fermentables

latebar

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Designing Great Beers suggests that not more than 10% of the fermentables come from sugar sources. And that 25-67 percent of the gravity of your beer should come from grain. So at first I'm just calculating a straight percentage on my own, then it occurs to me that it should be weighted differently for liquid vs dry extract, so I assume grains and sugars may have a different weight as well. So now I'm looking at the %/IBU column of the recipe design tab in BeerSmith, which I hadn't paid attention to before, thinking it was just had something to do with IBU's. But now I see that it is a dual purpose column, showing both the IBU percent for hops and the grain percentages. However, on inspection, it looks it's just a straight percentage, weighting grains, extract, and sugars all the same. Am I missing something? How do know what percentage of the gravity each ingredient is contributing???

Back