• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottle Conditioned Lager

M

maddspoiler

About to bottle my Oktoberfest but its been in the carboy a long time. Im worried there is not enough active yeast left to fully ferment the priming sugar. Im thinking of pitching some viable yeast in the beer when I add the priming sugar. Does anybody here have experience doing this? How much should I add? Will it effect the taste if I use too much? Unfortunately I dont have the option to keg it. Thanks,

I used a 1/2 packet of DCL T-58 dry yeast.  Rehdrate like normal and mix with corn sugar solution in bottling bucket.

Mark

Maddspoiler,
                  You don't have to worry about the yeast. Just bottle! The yeast remains active for quite some time. How long has your beer been in the carboy? six weeks, eight? I have beers in the primary for a month and then I add dry hops to that! Beer is forgiving and yeast is too. Just mix the corn sugar well and keep the bottles at the temperature that it fermented at. Wait a couple of weeks and all should be fine.

Bob,
Fermented @ 48-50f for 3 weeks then did a 2 day diacetyl rest around 55-58f then put it in secondary for a month @ about 35f. Bottling Saturday or Sunday. So you think there will be plenty of yeast left then?

maddspoiler

The yeast will be there. I would  leave the bottles at room temperature for at least two weeks and try one. If the carbonation seems to be OK then I would let it set for a couple of weeks more before serving. However as long as it's carbonated what you do is up to you? Good Luck

You will be fine I have let a dopplebock go for 9 months at 36F and it turned out great

Bottled it last night and the sample I took tasted great! Also bottled a Belgian Dubbel after it and that tasted like Chimay! The recipe for the Dubbel was out of the book "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zaineshef and John Palmer.

Attachments

• Belgian Dubbel.bsmx
    20.7 KB · Views: 198
Back