• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Converting recipes/Mash tun volume larger than...

vince805

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have an all grain recipe that I would like to convert to a partial mash. I have my equipment setup with my 2 gallon mash tun. I go through the convert process (selecting partial mash, my equipment profile, etc) and when the convert is done it has way too much grains to fit into my mash tun and I get the red dot with the "Mash tun volume needed is larger than the size of your mash tun."

Am I missing something, or shouldn't the convert process take into account your mash tun size and set the grain amounts/extract amount properly? Is there something else I should be doing, or a work around for this?

Hi,
  The current algorithm does not take into account mash tun size. It tries instead to match the input recipe as well as it can.

You can, however, adjust it manually by adding a bit more extract and a bit less grain.

Brad

Back