• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding 99.999 o2 to wort.

Simie

Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone add "pure" o2 to their wort prior to yeast pitching? if so what advice would you be willing to part with. Just picked a o2 cylinder and will be getting a hose and beer stone kit so what say all of you seasoned brewers???

Simie

I usually do 20-30 seconds into my four gallon worts.  However, with my "high-splash" transfer method I've skipped O2 aeration on several batches and seen no ill effects. 

I have a air stone connected to a stainless steal tube. A hose on the other end of the SS tube goes to the cylinder. I use it to stir and mix the (ferm-cap) into the fermentation bucket or mix up the yeast cake on a reused bucket. I give it a good 45 seconds to a five gallon batch. I never really feel that I mixed it enough before I used Oxygen.

I use the kit from MoreBeer on my O2 tank.  I give it 60 - 90 seconds at a rate that does not cause foaming.  I am not sure the volume or flow rate.  Bigger beers will need more O2 than smaller beers (1.040 versus 1.060 OG).  Smaller ones I might use less O2.  I have had better beers since using O2.  I get a cleaner beers with less off flavors.  Healthy happy yeast make good beer! ;D ;D

Back