• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Good price on a Brix Refractometer?

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good price on a Brix refractometer (preferrably with an adjustable zero)?  I know someone who would like to purchase one.

Automatic Temperature Compensation would be nice but is not required.

Cheers!
Brad

The refractometers used in marine aquarium equipment look very similar to the beer refractometers.  Are they the same?  If they are, I have seen refractometers much cheaper on the marine aquarium suppliers websites...

Sounds interesting...
 Do you have a few links to inexpensive marine refractometers?

Brad

The refractometers for marine aquariums are for measuring salinity and have a different scale on them than brix refractometers.  I have seen digital refractometers for measuring salinity and sugar content but they are mega $$$'s, and I don't to put my tank water on my beer equipment personally :)  

*Edit:  I've bought a brix one for my father-in-law(wine) and salinity for my neighbor(reef tank), and they wouldn't have worked for both applications.. looking at the auction below, it looks like some display more scales than others.

Looks pretty good to me @ $43 for buy it now , with Auto Temp Compensation -  and 3 scales: (Dang I think I might get this one)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2564829508&category=25365

Just for reference...
 Northern Brewer (which cj recommended) has auto temperature conversion brix brewing refractometers for $59.95.  Also the ebay listing above shows ATC Brix refractometers with a "buy it now" price of $43 + $7.50 shipping.

Seems like a good deal to me...and I have no affiliation with Northern Brewer or the ebay seller.

Also - the latest version of BeerSmith includes the full set of refractometer calculations - three tools in one.

Brad

Did anyone purchase the refractometer shown from ebay?  If so, what were your impressions of it?  They have a few listed and I may buy one.  Thanks in advance.

I have not purchased one off Ebay but I saw on another forum that several people who have purchased there have done well with it.

Which listing are you looking at?

Brad

It's the same one that BamaBrew listed.  They have a couple of auctions for them right now.  I was thinking of buying one, but it's probably going to end up as a Christmas list item.

Cheers,
Rob

I bought one off Austin homebrew on sell for 39.95,,,,, it has brix and SP. Gravity and I think auto temp........plus bought a PH METER to test mash ph. Just got them and going to use them on my next brew day

Found one on Amason.com for $39.00  It came from Home Brew Stuff.  I received it today, but didn't use it yet. It looks like it'll do the job. Hope this helps you.

I bought one recently on Amazon from an outfit called Agriculture Solutions that is dual-scale; brix and SG, with ATC and adjustable too.  $50 and no complaints.

BillN said:
I bought one recently on Amazon from an outfit called Agriculture Solutions that is dual-scale; brix and SG, with ATC and adjustable too.  $50 and no complaints.

Go to ebay and you will be shocked at how cheap they are. i just  bought 2.  one foe beer and wine and another one for alcohol.

There's a seller on E-Bay (easylifeproduct) that sells 0-32%brix/sg w/ atc for less than $30 every day, shipping included.
The product ships from hong kong, so the wait is @ 2 weeks. It seems like a solid unit and can be calibrated, comes with the tool,pipettes and a case. Hard to go wrong at that price.

Back