• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Open Beta - Build 42 Beta Available Here

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
All,
  Here is the "open beta" download links for build 42 of BeerSmith 2.  Build 42 is an interim (beta) build that I intend to roll into a formal release for all users sometime in September.  The purpose of publishing it here is to give adventurous users a chance to try out the patches/features listed below.  If you run into problems, I recommend going back to the stable release (build 40).

- I recommend backing up your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory before installing - just in case!
- Download and install the updates below using the normal process - assuming you already have BeerSmith 2, you can use the installer (on the

PC) or drag it to your Applications directory (Mac) as you did with earlier versions.

Release Notes:
- Fixed "water/grain" precision bug to allow proper setting of water/grain ratio and water amounts in mash profiles
- Moved "tabs" for open recipes up to the title bar for a cleaner use of space (good for those with small screens)
- Changed shopping list to display long name for items added so yeast product numbers, hop alpha, etc are now included
- Corrected storing of column sort order - it previously did not store "reverse" sorts properly between sessions
- Added new unit system for yeast starters - can be set from yeast starter tab
- Corrected bug in pricing of inventory for Misc items
- Corrected bug in list control that may have led to some crashes
- Corrected bug in import of files that could have led to crashes (only two instances known)
- Corrected BeerXML export - it was exporting some items more than once
- Added "print tab" button to print screens for open recipes, and changed default print function to use default recipe format instead (more intuitive)
- Corrected BeerXML water/grain ratio on export
- Corrected problem where double click of some buttons was bleeding through to window underneath it
- Matched DME carbonation factors between recipe carb calculator and standalone tool
- Corrected bug in late extract additions - was not allowing late extract additions in a partial mash brew
- Added choose button to make it easier to add custom report templates
- Corrected water/grain ratio on infusion tool - was not showing metric units properly

The links to download (direct) are:
    http://www.beersmith.com/download/BeerSmith2_42.exe - Windows version
    http://www.beersmith.com/download/BeerSmith2_42.dmg - Mac version (compressed)
    http://www.beersmith.com/download/BeerSmith2_42_uncompressed.dmg - Mac version (uncompressed)

If you have comments or bug specific to this build, please post them in this thread.  Note I may be
in and out of the office periodically next week so I may not respond immediately.

Thanks,
Brad

I like the move of the tabs to the title bar - does indeed make it easier to navigate a recipe. However, it makes it hard to get to the upper right options ('OK', 'Cancel') when the sidebar is open. 
Related comment - perhaps a quick-key command that would show/toggle the sidebar back on. the 'X' is easy to reach to hide it, but restoring it with a quick key would be nice.  I often need to hide the sidebar for full recipe viewing.

Shopping cart in Beta 42 doesn't seem to work.  Does not consider Inventory (on hand), and Needed always equals Amount.

Any idea when build 42 is available in the normal mode and not beta?

Erik

Erik
  I'm shooting for a release sometime next week.  I just finished the full BeerXML import and I have a few other minor issues to correct before release.

Brad

Beta bug note?

Seem to have a weight entry problem (*yeah, too many pizza/beer calories too!).
In formulating a new recipe, I want to enter 2oz of Chocolate Grain - The software enters it as 1.6 oz. 
I tried entering as both '2 oz'  as well as "2/16"  both result as 1.6oz.

* edit - just changed the precision options to be greater for grain units - now when I enter 2 oz, or 2/16 or 1/8  software enters the grain weight as "2.1"

Back