• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Missing Info in Brew Steps?

fxdrider

Apprentice
Reaction score
In Brewing Steps(for Extract recipes), shouldn't there be an entry that tells you how long to steep any grains required, and at what temperature?

If that's supposed to be there (and I think it's probably a good idea to have it), mine isn't showing it.

Neither 1.4 nor 2.0 tells you how long to steep or at what temperature.  I usually steep mine at 152 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Mark

Thanks. At least it's not a problem with my installation.
I'm new at home brewing, and info like that would definitely come in handy. I'm kinda surprised that something so basic as steeping specialty grains would get left out. But then again, not all kits come with great instructions on steeping the grains, either. I guess that's why I was hoping BeerSmith would address it. The rest of the program is fantastic! Or at least, seems fantastic to a newbie such as myself. Guess I'll have to move to Partial Mash brewing sooner rather than later, eh?

Thanks again.

merfizle said:
I usually steep mine at 152 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Mark

If you can maintain 152-155F for 20-30 minutes like Mark, you are now partial mashing, and able to use any grain you desire.  And, also boost the malt aroma of any extract-based beer recipe.  Huge increase in malt quality for little effort. 

Stainless steel pot in a warm oven works wonders. 

MaltLicker said:
merfizle said:
I usually steep mine at 152 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

Mark

If you can maintain 152-155F for 20-30 minutes like Mark, you are now partial mashing

Cool. From now on I''ll just consider any recipe with specialty grains a partial mash recipe.
What would be the best Mash selection in the Recipe window? I'm assuming one of the Single Infusion choices with no mash out.

Yes, in your case I would do single infusion w/o mash out.  Are you going to sparge using a mesh bag of some kind?  That's the way I did it so it was kind of like a fly sparge. 

Now, I batch sparge w/o mash out.

Mark

Back