• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Error or not?

Mr. Beer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Came across this.
error.png

Hi,
That is not necessarily an error - it is the total brewhouse efficiency number from your equipment profile.  Its being compared to your measured numbers as calculated from the gravities and volumes you entered.

Brad

Thank you for your reply. I was referring to the fact it says "tot" instead of "total". That being said, I love the new version and appreciate all the work put into it. Cheers.

I posted a reply advising I believed you were saying the same thing but my reply never made it.  Regardless, Total Efficiency is confusing as it really means configured brewhouse efficiency.  Why not just say what you mean?  Brewhouse Efficiency.  Total is way too confusing to me.

Hi,
  I should probably change it to brewhouse efficiency.  I was trying to keep it short to accommodate those with really tiny screens (yes, people run BeerSmith on their netbooks!).

Brad

Phooey.  Old folks like me need big, BIG monitors :)

I do use my laptop in the garage (brewhouse ;D ) when brewing but that has a 15" screen. 

Now for those folks with puny screens , the mouse over does seem pretty clear to me.  Can't please us all though.

I hadn't thought of that before, but is Brewhouse even the best option?  That too makes it seem factual. 

We're essentially trying to show a calculated, theoretical number and an actual, measured number, correct?  Just like Estimated OG and Measured OG?

(A .300 baseball hitter's average is based on earlier attempts, and no guarantee he will get 3 hits out of next 10 bats.) 

So would Calculated Efficiency and Measured Efficiency be more clear and consistent with some other data points such SG, SRM, IBU and ABV?

All those are calculated targets before the brew, and then the Measured actuals are taken later. 

Back