• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ibu's not the same as in 1.4

MattHoll

Brewer
Reaction score
Downloaded the trial of 2.0 to check it out and loaded my recipes from 1.4 and the ibus don't match up.

Both versions of the software are set up to use Rager for calculations.

As an example, I just created a new recipe, just to test it out.  I made a 10 liter recipe.  Set efficiency to 75%.  Added 2 kg of Pils malt yielding 1.045.  Added 10 grams of hops with an AA of 17.9%, 60 minutes.

Beersmith 2.0 says that yields 53.5 ibus.
Beersmith 1.4 says that yields 48.2 ibus.

So, what's going on there?  I mean, Rager is Rager, right?

I see the same thing using Tinseth.  Same recipe:

Version 1.4 = 43.9 IBU
Version 2.0.40 = 48.2 IBU

Adjustments on the Options-Bitterness page are both set the same.  Leaf hops used.
Any ideas?

Hi,
  Two things came into play here (in the FAQ I think):
  - Someone pointed out that Rager, Tinseth, etc used whole hops when determining their equations and BeerSmith uses pellet as the default - so a -10% adjustment was made in BeerSmith 2 to account for the difference between pellet and whole hops.  This was not in BeerSmith 1.  You can adjust this in the hop options.
  - A slightly smaller adjustment was made for recipes with significant post boil trub losses - in the past these were treated as "lossless" but now the software adjusts for this by using the post boil volume instead of the into fermenter volume for hop calcs.

The latter usually does not have a large effect on most recipes, but the first change above likely accounts for most of the difference.

Brad

Thanks for the reply Brad.

Didn't see the FAQ before.  Too many links on the page!

In 1.4, in the bitterness calcs options, if remove the -10% adjustment for whole hops, they calculate the same (also zeroed out the losses and trub just to test this).

In 1.4 then, it's calculating pellets incorrectly since there's nowhere to make the pellets have a +10% adjustment?

I'm a longtime user of your software, BTW.  Love it!  So thanks for all the hard work.

BeerSmith said:
  - Someone pointed out that Rager, Tinseth, etc used whole hops when determining their equations and BeerSmith uses pellet as the default - so a -10% adjustment was made in BeerSmith 2 to account for the difference between pellet and whole hops.  This was not in BeerSmith 1.  You can adjust this in the hop options.

Thanks Brad.  I hadn't noticed that when I added hops in V1.4, it defaulted to pellets :-[ - the recipe was imported into V2.0 - when I change it to leaf hops, the calculations now agree. :)

Back