• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch sparge steps

grainbelt

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am doing my first recipe in Beersmith 2 and when I pick a medium body batch sparge it lists the batch sparge as 2 steps I can nto figure out why?
this is what it says below
Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.37gal, 3.49gal) of 168.0 F water

Do you have the equal sparge volumes checked?  If so, BS takes your pre boil volume and divides by two and will also take into consideration the Batch Sparge using batches that fill field.  Mash tun deadspace affects sparge volume as well.

What do you have deadspace set to?  If it's zero then I can tell you that BS has your pre boil volume as 6.98 gallons.  Take that divided by two and you get 3.24 gallons which is step 2.  Step 1 is .37 gallons so your mash water minus grain absorption plus .37 will be 3.49 gallons assuming you have equal volumes checked. 

If you have tun dead space then BS takes that, divides by number of batch sparge steps and adds that to each sparge step volume. 

Mark

Hi,
  The default batch sparge profiles try to fit the sparge in the fewest number of steps (often two), while maintaining equal runnings.  In the example you provide, the 0.37 gallons is added to the water already in the mash (from your infusions) so the first batch is actually about 3.5 gallons total runnings - the same as the second step.

Brad

Back