• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash schedule question

A

Alan McKay

OK, I figured out how to use mash profiles - at least partially.  I have it doing the first step.  I think it would be more intuitive to allow the entry of a water:grain ratio like 1.25:1, but it's easy enough to fudge by entering 1lb of grain and 1.25 quarts water.

But now how do I get Beersmith to tell me how much water and at what temp to boost to my next rest for a multiple infusion mash?

thanks,
-Alan

Alan,
 There are three variables for a given amount of grain and a single infusion step...

- The amount of water to infuse
  - The temperature of water you are adding
  - The target temperature you are trying to achieve

Given a mash at a certain starting temperature, if you specify two then the other one is fixed.  In BeerSmith for the mash profiles we chose for the user to specify the amount of water to add and the target temperature -- then BeerSmith calculates the temperature of the water to add from the other two.

Going back to your example - lets pretend we create a mash profile for 1 lb grain and the first step (at some step temperature you entered) adds 1.25 qts of water.

Now we want to add infusion step 2 which takes us to some higher temperature.  Insert another step, set the target step temperature and then enter the amount of water desired to achieve your target water to grain ratio.  For example, lets say we are going from 1.25 to 2.0 which means we add 0.75 qt of water.

Press OK for the second step and look at the list in the mash dialog.  It will show you added 0.75 quarts of water at a calculated infusion temperature to achieve the desired step temperature.  If you did not add enough water it will show "Error: Infusion temperature too high" which means that the infusion water would have to be above boiling to achieve the target temperature.  In this case, add more water until you get to something below boiling.

Now lets pretend we have our 1 lb of grain mash profile with two steps that looks OK.  What next?  Well create a recipe and apply that new mash profile to it...you will see that the grain amounts, water amounts, and temperatures all get scaled to match the real recipe (not a 1 lb recipe) and real equipment you are using.

Another item to play with is the Strike/Infusion tool - it works along the same lines as the mash profiles but may be easier to see since it calculates in real time...you enter the initial conditions for a step, target temperature and amount of water to add and it outputs the temperature of the water needed to achieve that goal.

I hope this helps...and I appreciate your time!

Cheers!
Brad

OK, I just did trial-and-error trying different volumes and eventually came up with something that would require 200F water for the mashout step.  So I found a way to do it.  It only took 5 or 6 tries so it wasn't that bad, and now that it is defined because of the awesome way that profiles work I'll never have to do it again (if I understand profiles properly)

You should have a spot on the site for posting and downloading mash schedules.  I'm developing a few for Koelschy and Hefeweizen that I'd contribute.

cheers,
-Alan

Alan,
 Sorry you had to trial and error it...but I'm glad to hear it worked out in the end...

You can email the profiles to me and I will post them in an upcoming update...in fact you can email any data to me (hops, mash, equipment, grains whatever) and I will pile them up for future updates.

A nice feature of BeerSmith is that I can post data updates for over the internet download.

Saving/Emailing other data works the same as it does with recipes - just select the mash profile and use the "Save Selected Items" or "Mail Selected Items" on the Actions menu to save it off.

Thanks again!
Brad  8)

Back