• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I did my first pilsner and kegged

beercheer4me

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I is a little tart and has some bitterness , not bad but noticable ,
I think looks at notes on the mash in
was 122 for 30 mins
went to 144 for 30 mins
then 153 for 10 min
I am thinking that i sure of stay at 153 or 4 for 30 mins
,I think that i didnt make up enought non fermentable sugars and the yeast consume up every thing
mash was 5.4 ph, did a water prfile per beer style
I think I am going to run it threw a beer filter plate to see if it cleans it up.
I made a starter 1800 ml.
I am not a pilsner type anyways I just did it for a some friends and to do a three step mash
anyone who make a lot of pilner thanks for any advice

Tart usually means infection by wild yeast or bacteria.  Give it time and measure the gravity.  If the gravity keeps falling, it is infected. 

Yes your right english was not my strong suit,,,,
After reading my post I had to laugh,mustof had to been the beer,thanks for the enjoyment.

Yeah sometimes I look at posts I made while drinking and I'm almost embarrassed. Then I just laugh because its the home brew typing.

I brew lagers occasionally (havent done a pils yet) and everything you did sounds pretty normal.
@ 154 mash temp you would create a reasonable amount of non fermentable sugars.

It sounds like an infection...
Sourness usually indicates an infection.
Wait a while and recheck gravity like Joe said. Bacteria will eat the sugars that yeast cant so its easy to check for.

I have cold crashed it for about 2 week now, ( the other 5 gallons ) that I didnt keg......  and the clarity looks good , it just as a small tartness note on the end of pallet ,,so you all think that the 10 minute mash a 153 has nothing to do with the sour note?
see it is that english again LOL ,,,any way I think it might be the yeast which was shipped in the hot truck from Indy and texas ,,,, I used a pilsner yeast and the starter didnt look to right but not knowing what a pilsner starter looks like ,( mostly  darker than usual ) it bed it was the yeast )
I am going to wait and wondering if now I should run it threw a beer filter plate what do you think ?
Is there a GOOD BOOK on just pilsners only ?
I have about a dozon book now on brewing
How would you do a mash sch. for pils ?

Could it have been the hops? They present themselves differently in lager. Hop a pils like an IPA and it might not make many friends.

You could make a fine German pils with a single rest mash of 148 to 150F, but let it rest at least an hour to fully convert.  Lower mash temps take more time.

It should have a firm bittering, so that is OK.  Have others try it and help determine if the tartness is inappropriate. 

update
I put it to the white rock, it was a good experience , since then I have brewed a gumball head clone, a Flanders porter, and a maerzen madness Oktoberfest lager
I bought a 25 cu ft freeze used for 100.00 and cleaned it up and painted and controller so I am at it again.
Next brews are going to be a pumpkin ,some sort of Christmas beer or Stout like a Murphy's Irish Stout.
What ever it will be it will be a back to back brews, any more if its brew day ITS brew day ,LOL
Thanks guys for the advice
the pils never did or get where or what i expected
Lesson learn it really think it was the yeast not being healthy.
It kept it tartness so regroup and move on and try later when I can get my yeast shippments it cooler weather

Thanks again

Back