• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aerating Carboy during fermentation?

HikeNC

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just brewed a Scotch Ale last Sunday and used the 1728 Scottish Ale yeast.  Primary fermentation has been kept at 60 degrees.  I've read it could take up to 3 weeks for fermentation to finish because of the low temperature.  I had a good quick start in fermentation, so I'm not concerned with that.  Since the yeast I used has a high flocculation the yeast has already fell to the bottom of the carboy.  Is it okay to shake the carboy around to get the yeast back in suspension? 

It is pretty safe to share it up but avoid over swirling it and spilling out the top.  Keep in mind that at that temp and after the yeast have flocculated, they will just fall back to the bottom.

Someone here said to put a tennis ball under it and gently rotate it.  Less back strain and less chance of breaking the carboy.

I use a ball-bearing race and spin the carboy frequently when fermentation starts to slow down; keeps yeast in suspension a bit longer. 

Just open the freezer and give it a whirl. 

Attachments

• spinner9.JPG
    spinner9.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1
I read on the Whitelabs website recently while researching their WLP002 English Ale Yeast for a Pale Ale that it is ok to swirl the carboy because settling trub/hotbreak/hops may trap the yeast due to its highly flocculent nature(WLP002 is extremely flocculent). They said to only do it in the first 18-24 hours. At that point they said the yeast should be active enough to keep itself in suspension and swirling or agitating can be detrimental to the finished beer.

Thanks for the helpful information.  I swirled it a couple times after 24 hours... I hope it wasn't too detrimental! 

Back