• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Absorption?

jlemaux

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought Beer Smith. I think it is great software!

I have a question about calculating and adjusting for water absorbed by grains while mashing. I batch sparge and with my system I usually lose  to absorption a little more than .1 gallons of water per pound of grain. When I select batch sparge with equal size batches, the second sparge is larger than the first since it doesn't take into account water that is absorbed by the grain. However, in practice I usually add some water after the mash so the first run will be half of the total boil volume. Then for the second sparge I simply add an equal volume since the grain bed is saturated and will not absorb more water.

Is there a way I can tweak my settings so the software can make the proper adjustments?

Thanks in advance!

John

John,
 BeerSmith does take into account the grain absorbtion when performing water calculations.

I think if you check the box "Sparge using equal batches" as well as the batch sparge option in the mash profile you will get equal size sparge steps.

Click on the "Details" button next to your mash profile name in the recipe to view these options.

Cheers!
Brad

Back