• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Program hangs intermittently

JPor

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi -- I have been experiencing a problem in the program -- build 2.0.40 -- where the program randomly hangs as I work.  This has been happening frequently, perhaps every other time I use the program, and can start at anytime.  It has happened as I add ingredients to a recipe, but it has also happened when I am trying to print a recipe prior to brewing or working with organizing and viewing files.  The small square with an arrow appears (the "copy/paste" icon) in place of the cursor arrow, and the program will not allow me to do anything, including exit.  Please note that I did not initiate a copy or paste procedure: this event happens on its own.  I can exit exit the program by using Task Manager but then when I restart the program the problem is still there.  The only way to have the program behave once again is to reboot the computer and start all over again. 

Thanks for any help you can give me --

John

Program: version 2.0.40
Platform: Windows XP

John,
  I have not seen that problem yet and I've had no one else report this particular issue.  Most of the crashes reported involved other specific errors that usually result in an error report or assertion.

One thought is perhaps it is trying to "autosave" your work - but that would normally happen only if you have been idle with the program for several minutes.  It would not occur if you were actively working with the program.

Also I don't understand why a reboot would be required.  Even in XP, restarting the program creates an entirely fresh copy of the program.  In fact the case that a reboot is required leads me to believe it might be an issue with the operating system such as your graphics drivers or perhaps file system.

Do you have the latest updates for XP and also have you scanned/defragmented your drive recently?  Its a long shot, but about all I can think of at the moment.

Brad

Yes, I have thinking along the same lines myself, and will do a defrag and otherwise check the operating/display system and see if that helps.  I'll let you know what I do and how/if it helps. 

Thanks much, Brad. 

John

Hi --

I did update my display driver: so far that has fixed the hangups I had been having.  Thanks again for your help. 

John

Back